CMS Releases Proposed Rule on Meaningful Use Stage 3.
Date posted: April 6, 2015
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) recently released a proposed rule for Stage 3 of the Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programs. Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs allow eligible professionals and providers to qualify for incentive payments and avoid downward payment adjustments under Medicare. In order to qualify for the program in 2018 and beyond, professionals and providers must comply with Stage 3 level meaningful use requirements and reporting.
Significant Stage 3 meaningful use objectives include:
- Increase interoperable health data sharing among providers;
- Advance use of certified EHR technology (CEHRT);
- Simplify reporting requirements and reduce program complexity;
- Establish a single set of aligned objectives and measures to define meaningful use for each program participant type (eligible professional, eligible hospital or critical access hospital); and
- Align the EHR Incentive Programs with other CMS quality reporting programs that use CEHRT.
Interested parties must submit comments on the proposed rule to CMS by May 29, 2015.
The Stage 3 meaningful use proposed rule is available at:
Medicare and Medicaid Programs; Electronic Health Record Incentive Program-Stage 3; Proposed Rule; 80 Fed. Reg. 16731 (March 30, 2015).