CMS Issues Proposed Rule to Update the PFS.
Date posted: August 5, 2014
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) recently released a proposed rule to update the payment policies and payment rates for services furnished under the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (PFS). The rule also proposes changes to quality reporting initiatives associated with PFS payments and advances the implementation of the physician value-based payment modifier.
Key highlights of the proposed rule include:
- Increase flexibility in the supervision of clinical staff providing chronic care management services;
- Increase number of quality measures for quality reporting;
- Revise Geographic Practice Cost Indices;
- Add services delivered to Medicare beneficiaries under the telehealth benefit; and
- Implement changes to the Open Payments program, including a proposal to eliminate the reporting exemption for payments made to speakers at accredited continuing medical education events.
CMS is accepting comments on the proposed rule until September 2, 2014.
The proposed rule is available at:
The fact sheet on proposed policy and payment changes to the PFS is available at: http://www.cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaReleaseDatabase/Fact-sheets/2014-Fact-sheets-items/2014-07-03-1.html.
The fact sheet on proposed rule changes in the quality programs is available at:
The fact sheet on proposed rule changes for the Physician Value-based Payment Modifier is available at:
Medicare Program; Revisions to Payment Policies Under the Physician Fee Schedule, Clinical Laboratory Fee Schedule, Access to Identifiable Data for the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation Models & Other Revisions to Part B for CY 2015; Proposed Rule, 79 Fed. Reg. 133 40318 (July 11, 2014).
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. “Proposed policy and payment changes to the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule for Calendar Year 2015.” Fact Sheet. 3 Jul. 2014.
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. “Changes for Calendar Year 2015 Physician Quality Programs and Other Programs in the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule.” Fact Sheet. 3 Jul. 2014.
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. “Proposed changes for the Physician Value-based Payment Modifier in the CY 2015 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule Proposed Rule.” Fact Sheet. 3 Jul. 2014.